Friday, April 6, 2012

Kitchen Remodel: DIY Distressed Vintage Cabinets

Hello ladies! How are ya’ll? Good I hope and ready to learn how to give your cabinets a distressed vintage furniture finish.
Before I start though I would like to remind you of the $25 Home Depot gift card I am giving away in celebration of finishing my kitchen.  I thought it would give one of you a start on your next project. Click here to enter.



Here is how my cabinets looked after I finished but before I put on the hardware.


This is a view of the bottom cabinets.  The top cabinets were done with a lighter finish. This is what I started with your basic oak finish.


Tip: When you remove the doors and drawer fronts number them so you know where each one goes when re-hanging them.

Here is how I completed the top cabinets.

First I painted them with Annie Sloan Chalk paint in Pure White.


Next I mixed black pigment with a glaze and brushed it on.


I then took a dry rag and removed the glaze.


After I had removed most of the glaze leaving more in the details I decided It was not light enough for me and I wiped it again with a damp cloth to remove more glaze.


After they were dry and re-hung I still wanted the top cabinets lighter so I went back and dry brushed more Pure White on them.  Finally I was satisfied. Smile


I then used ASCP clear wax applying it with a brush and wiping off excess with a rag as I went.  I then distressed them and when they were dry applied another coat of wax. To finish I buffed them to a light sheen.


My bottom cabinets I wanted a little different so I started by painting them with ASCP Paris Gray.  I then followed the steps above except when I applied the black glaze I sort of slopped it on every which a way so that when I followed up with dry brushing the white on I would have more texture.

Here are the pictures showing you the steps.





First one with glaze and the one at top after wiping with dry cloth.




End of bar after glaze had dried.


By the way these are the front of the cabinet drawers they pop off which made them much easier to paint.  This one is after about two coats of dry brushed Pure White. 

Dry brushing is a method of using a dry brush with most of the paint wiped off.  When you first start applying the paint you are barely touching the surface and as most of the paint is used you will press harder.  You never want to get a solid looking brush of paint on the wood.

After each coat dries you continue adding the white with a dry brush until you get the look you want.   I think I applied a total of five coats in this manner.






Now here is where the bottom cabinets start to really look different.  Next you wax them using the soft clear wax wiping off the excess with a dry cloth.  I then took one of those gray sanding blocks and started distressing them. Resulting in the gray paint showing through in spots like they had worn over time. 

You want to distress anywhere you think they would naturally wear. Around the handles and pulls, on the corners, at the base, etc.  After all that scrubbing and rubbing they look like this. 








Corner top cabinet showing new bottom trim around cabinets.

To finish them I used different pulls on the top, the drawers, and the bottom doors to look as if they had been added at different times.

We only have a few small things to do before I share my completed kitchen.  I hope you are inspired to take your cabinets on as a spring project.


Oh yes, by the way, here is the inspiration picture I used to base my kitchen cabinet remodel on.


habershamhome.com

In a comparison of the inspiration picture and my finished cabinets I think I managed to upgrade my stock cabinets beautifully.  What do you think?



Thanks for stopping by and I am sharing with the following lovely ladies.








Friday
Feathered Nest Friday Inspiration Friday Furniture Feature Friday
Frugal Friday Show & Tell Friday Friday's Unfolded Friday Feature Party

Saturday
Show & Tell Saturday Get Schooled Saturday Spotlight Saturday
Whatcha Got Weekend  Saturday Night Special

Sunday
DIY Showoff Sister Sunday Link Party Sunday Blog Love
Sunday Scoop Link Party Nifty Thrifty Sunday Sunday Show Off
It's Party Time

Monday
Show Off Your Cottage Monday Creative Bloggers' Party & Hop Creative Me Monday
More the Merrier Monday Mop It Up Monday Mix It Up Monday

Tuesday
Nifty Thrifty Tuesday Tuesday's Treasures Trash 2 Treasure Tuesday
Twice Owned Tuesday Annie Sloan Chalk Paint Link Party
Take It On Tuesday

Wednesday
Wow Us Wednesday  POWW 83 A Furniture Link Party
Success U Link Party  Restored It Wednesday  Be Inspired
White Wednesday

Thursday
Transformation Thursday  Thriving on Thursdays Thrifty Thursday




45 comments:

Eileen @ Cottage Beach House said...

They look really good. I really like the grey with the white dry brushed over. You've created lots of texture and interest.

Jana@Transformations From the Heart said...

Peggy,
I already left a comment over on your give-a-way page but wanted to leave one here as well.

I am still just "Loving" your molding for your kitchen. I am visiting your site again today just to ooh and aah over it.

Shabby chic Sandy said...

Your techniques look great!

Courtney ~ French Country Cottage said...

Looks fantastic~ thanks for linking up at Feathered Nest Friday!

Kathleen said...

Peggy, Your kitchen remodel posts are like a decor show on HGTV! I can't wait to tune in to see the next step. I am very intimidated about distressing, but you make it look effortless. Gorgeous cabinets!!
Take care, Kathleen

Jennifer @ Town and Country Living said...

I think you did fabulous! Just beautiful.

Lolly Jane said...

Looks FAB!! Thanks for linking up with us! I wouldn't have seen this otherwise (: So glad I did!

Anonymous said...

Gorgeous! I'm planning on redoing my brown kitchen cabinets white, but wasn't quite sure on how I wanted them to look. You've inspired me! I found you through Spotlight Saturday at Classy Clutter. Looking forward to seeing more of your creative projects!
Sharla

Anonymous said...

Coming by way of Cielo's party. Love your new look for your cabinets. The glaze makes all the gorgeous molding pop amazingly! Can't wait to see the kitchen!

SJ @ Homemaker On A Dime said...

It turned out lovely! Btw, thanks for coming to the party and for sharing your thoughts regarding my question :) True, we can't protect them from disappointments so all we can do is teach them how to cope up.

Lisa @ Flour Me With Love said...

They turned out beautiful! I'd love for you to share this at Mix it up Monday:

http://www.flourmewithlove.com/2012/04/mix-it-up-monday_08.html

I hope to see you soon:)

Sue said...

The cabinets look wonderful!! The addition of the dark glaze really made these look fantastic. :-) Sue

karen@somewhatquirky said...

The cabinets look wonderful. Nice job.

Rosemary@villabarnes said...

You did very well!

Lisa @ Flour Me With Love said...

Thank you so much for taking the time to stop over and share this lovely project. I hope you'll stop back often and share some more at Mix it up Monday :)

Karena said...

Peggy a beautiful transformation on the cabinets, Bravo!!

I hope you will come and see my new Annie Sloan Chalk Paint projects!

xoxo
Karena
Art by Karena

Kammy's Korner said...

How did you do?!!! Your last picture left me with my mouth hanging open and also reeeeeally annoyed at myself for just painting all my cabinets plain ole' white and doing NOTHING else to them. Seriously! I'm green with envy. These.Are.Gorgeous. Times 10.

Revi said...

Kudos! Cabinets take FOREVAAAH.
Your finish is lovely.
-Revi

Cassie Bustamante said...

that was a lot of work, but so worth it- they are gorgeous!

Yvonne @ StoneGable said...

YOu are a BRAVE one for painting your kitchen cabinets. And they look stunning! Wonderful job.... I am so inspired!
Yvonne

Small Holdings Farm said...

Love the technique...came out perfect. I am your newest follower and would love it if you would follow me back at http://smallholdings.blogspot.com

Thanks, Sherron

Sharon @ Elizabeth & Co. said...

Wow, what a difference! You really achieved a rich and beautiful patina! And you are so brave to take on kitchen cabinets! Nicely done!

Lou Cinda @ Tattered Hydrangeas said...

I love these cabinets peggy!! I cant wait to see the completed kitchen!!

Lou cinda

Anonymous said...

Beautiful! Well done.

Carolyn
{my simple messterpiece}

SheilaG @ Plum Doodles said...

Your cabinets are beautiful! I love the colors you chose and that the top cabs are different from the base cabs. Great technique- yay for the guts to go for it!

Good Time Charlie said...

Oh this project is so gorgeous. Thank you so much for sharing. Beautiful work. -K

Sharon @ mrshinesclass said...

Your cabinets look very much like the inspiration source. Great job!

Sharon @ mrs. hines class

~ ~ Ahrisha ~ ~ said...

Hi Peggy, Lovely cabinets! I really need to do mine but I want to practice on a few pieces of furniture first with the ASCP. Never used it before and practice makes perfect. Wish me luck.
~ ~Ahrisha~ ~

amy@winecountrymama said...

I only have 1 word..... Beautiful!!

Roxanne Reinhart said...

They look fantastic - so jealous. I hate my kitchen cabinets!!

FRENCH LAUNDRY said...

Wow Peggy, your cabinet turned out just great. Well done!

All the best,
Judy

Betsy @ Romance on a Dime said...

Wow - you kitchen is stunning with the new color, I'm sure!! I love the distressed look, especially with the bottom cabinets!! Nice job!!

I'm pinning this for sure - thanks for linking up to Romance on a Dime!!

Anonymous said...

Yikes! First off they are GORGEOUS, but so much work! I also painted my stock kitchen cabinets, but a few years ago.. I know how much effort and time it takes! Way to go... I cannot wait to see the final reveal! - Susan

Maureen Hayes said...

Peggy,

I just found you through Twigg Studios and am SO impressed with this cabinet re-do. Of course it is completely my style, but even if it weren't I would think it was incredible! You couldn't have purchased cabinets new that looked this nice.

I am following you and plan to subscribe to updates by email so I don't miss anything.

Thanks,
Maureen

cathy@my1929charmer said...

Absolutely gorgeous - love the look. You really did a great job. I bet your hanging out in your kitchen a lot now.

Jen Lossing, Artistic Abode Designs said...

Looks wonderful. Can't wait to see the finished product!

antique chairs said...

Looking at the original I can safely say that you made a gigantic improvement. Usually when it comes to antique furniture I'm always for sticking with the original color scheme, but in this case you most definitely made a good choice with the white recolor.

Darryl Margulies said...

You seemed to be very handy in this kind of thing. Getting that distressed vintage look on a cabinet isn’t easy because you have to be very careful in applying the white and black coating to achieve the shade that want. You, however, did it perfectly! These distressed vintage cabinets will definitely give your kitchen a whole new look!

PJH Designs said...

Thank you Darryl. I love my new kitchen since upgrading and painting my cabinets and even though they are white they are holding up nicely. I'm glad you like them.

Brandi said...

I love the new look of your cabinets, Peggy! That must have been a lot of hard work, painting and distressing. Now that you're done, you get to enjoy your beautiful space.

Unknown said...

Nice work, Peggy. Your distressed-looking cabinets could give a house a homey ambiance. It looked like it really belonged to your inspiration photo. So, what's up now?

#Arthur@ContractorExpress.com

Unknown said...

Your idea is something different than others, but still its unique and incredible by itself. Please put more pics of your new kitchen. I would love to see it. I am too in search of remodelling my kitchen in Cumbernauld but my kitchen space is somewhat smaller than the normal ones. Some of your ideas can be implemented in it. Thank you again.

Anonymous said...

Awesome work! That is quite appreciated. I hope you’ll get more success.roof restoration geelong

Unknown said...

Your kitchen cabinet is so lovely and amazing

Unknown said...

They look great – you guys really did a nice job. I've always gone back and forth whether I like the distressed look for us, but I really like what you did with your cabinets.


Zia
You won't believe this Seattle SEO info

Total Pageviews

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...